While the holidays are a time of cheerful winter decorations, festive traditions, and shopping for that perfect gift for the ones we love, it’s also a time of great need for those who don’t have access to basic necessities and resources.
Whether offering your time, donating food, toys, and necessities, or making a financial contribution, there are many ways to give to the less fortunate in Hays County and make a difference in your community.
SAFE is dedicated to “serving the survivors of child abuse, sexual assault and exploitation, and domestic violence” in the greater Austin area. Many of the people served by the organization are women and children with nowhere else to turn. With programs ranging from counseling to emergency shelter and housing assistance, SAFE has been the beginning of a better future for countless individuals.
Ways to give this season:
- Sponsor a SAFE wishlist to purchase gifts for adults and children in the program.
- Stock the shelves and provide much-needed items for SAFE’s shelters.
- Volunteer your time with the organization.
- Make a monetary donation that will help SAFE to continue fulfilling its mission.
Toys for Tots is a program that’s dear to the U.S. Marine Corps and has been brightening the Christmas season for millions of children since 1947. Right here in the Austin area, the program provides over 40,000 toys for more than 34,000 children! Every fall, Marines, organizations, businesses, and other volunteers gather new, unwrapped toys to distribute throughout Burnet, LLano, Blanco, Hays, Travis, Williamson, Bastrop, and Caldwell Counties.
How to help:
- Buy a toy online or drop one off at a recognized Toys for Tots location.
- Volunteer your business to be a drop site.
- Volunteer to help wrap and distribute the toys to those 34,000 children.
Operation Turkey is a 3-day series of events aimed to ensure everyone in the Austin area has a warm meal to enjoy on Thanksgiving. The program started on 6th street in Austin and has now spread to six more states, pulling in around 30,000 volunteers along the way. This year the three events include a Gumbo Cookoff Fundraiser (Nov 20), Turkey Tailgate (Nov 23), and Operation Turkey distribution (Nov 24).
- Volunteer your time at one of the three events.
- Get your organization or business involved in fundraising for the program.
- Make a financial donation to help Operation Turkey provide Thanksgiving meals.
The Central Texas Food Bank provides free groceries for thousands of families and individuals throughout the year, but the holiday season is often one where it sees the highest demand. Accomplishing the food bank’s goal of providing healthy and nutritious food to those in need wouldn’t be possible without volunteer and financial community support.
Make an impact:
- Volunteer at one of their mobile pantries.
- Volunteer in the food warehouse, community kitchen, or garden.
- Donate food or offer a monetary gift.
The holiday season is a great time to be a resident of Kyle, with festive cheer, generosity, and fun throughout the end of the year. To learn more about all Kyle has to offer and how you can find a home here, contact the team at Crosswinds today. Crosswinds is a master-planned community that offers families beautiful homes and great amenities. Visit our website to learn more.